ARISE Africa Fashion Week
Designer Abama Kai attends the ARISE Africa Fashion Awards at Sandton Convention Center in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Image 1 of 17
The Arise Africa Fashion Week went on from June 12 2009 to June 20, 2009 with a grand prize winner getting a chance to showcase their designs in New York’s Fashion Week. This was a great opportunity for the budding designers to get their work showcased on one of the most prestigious catwalks in the world.
The designers that participated came from South Africa, Madagascar, Nigeria, Uganda, Kenya, Ghana, Cameroon, Guinea, Tanzania, Sierra Leone, Ethiopia, Angola, Ivory Coast, Namibia, Martinique, Mozambique, Egypt, Botswana and Morocco. This is probably the most eclectic fashion show that the world has ever seen with a sampling of some of the best Afronista couture one could hope to find anywhere.
R. Kelly wowed the audience with his phenomenal voice and songs and will be performing in Sun City, South Africa. He was later presented with the award of Special Friend of Africa by Obaigbena, the CEO of THISDAY Group. This is his first time in Africa, but he will be rectifying it by performing at the following venues:
- Saturday, June 27 at the Superbowl in Sun City
- Monday, June 29 at the Grand West Casino in Cape Town
- Friday, July 3 at the THISDAY Dome in Abuja, Nigeria
- Saturday, July 4 and Sunday, July 5th in Lagos, Nigeria
- Wednesday, July 8 at Wembley Arena in London
Nigerian designers won four of the nine designer awards while Oluchi picked up the Model of the Year award.
The awards were as follows:
- Tiffany Amber of Nigeria- Designer of the Year award alongside David Tlale of South Africa
- Ituen Basi of Nigeria – Award for Innovation
- Eyola of Nigeria – Most Promising Designer award with Heni of South Africa.
- Christie Brown of Ghana – Emerging Designer
- Maponya Mall of Soweto in South Africa – Fashion Business award
- Anglo Gold and Susan Hayes of South Africa –Fashion Creative award
- Kluk CDGT of South Africa – Africa Red Carpet Award
- Ajuma, a model from Kenya – Africa Fashion Week Model award.
THISDAY is drawing lots of attention to African fashion and music talent and doing an excellent job. Jamati.com salutes them.